RSS Feed

Monday, May 24, 2010

Empathy

I'm sick. I literally felt sick today. I know someone who is going through the same thing I did with my little boy and his Triploidy. The more I share about my experiences, the more the word gets out. I met her through some mutual acquaintances who knew that I might be able to offer some knowledge or comfort.

As rare as I thought Triploidy was, I'm amazed I can find someone else nearby who is going through it. Up until this point, all of my experiences with it have been with moms online. This is the first time it's a person I now know in real life.

I've been following her journey, and making feeble attempts at helping in any way I can. When she shares about the emotion of it all, it brings my feelings flooding back. I feel her pain as if it's my own. I feel so helpless. I wish there was a way for me to make sure that no one would ever have to feel that way. I wish I could do more for her. It just makes me sick.

I keep kicking around ideas about how I could do more to help more people. I could write a book. I'm not sure how I can steal away time to do that when I can't even find time to blog! I could open up an email address for contact with other moms. This is something I've been thinking about for awhile. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by social media. It takes a lot of time to keep up, and I fear that another email to maintain might end up being too much for me. Still, I feel compelled to do more. Create a support group? Volunteering at a hospital? It's all too much to think about right now. Tonight I feel tired. I feel ready for a long weekend. I feel sick for my new friend and her pain. My mind is with her tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment