RSS Feed

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tradition

You can tell the weather has improved because I've been more absent here. It's too hard to sit behind a computer when it's nice outside. Maybe I just need to get out on the deck with the laptop in the evening!

This weekend my husband and I will celebrate an anniversary. I've been enjoying reading other blogs and discovering that some couples have traditions they share on certain occasions like this throughout the year. While we do have some basic holiday traditions, I'm starting to think we could benefit from something new. We don't see each other as much as I'd like, so I feel like we often struggle to connect. I think it's a common issue for families with young children. The only time we can find to really be together is over a movie once or twice a week. We only have a babysitter about 4 times a year. Yes, that's right. We date quarterly. It's really starting to get me down.

As our anniversary approaches, I'm trying to think of something fun we can add into our boring old routine. I want some kind of tradition. Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. Since you have an anniverary during a month with such nice weather, maybe choosing a restaurant with a lovely outdoor area? Or having a picnic in a favorite outdoor place? When we can't think of anything to do, we like to play a board game. I know it sounds lame but it's fun and allows for more talking and interaction than a movie. Or maybe since you both love karaoke that can be part of your anniversary tradition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ideas! Karaoke... Haven't done that in ages! It's a good fit for us because our first date was karaoke if you can believe it. It's something we enjoyed a lot when we had time to go out. Love it! Now we just need to find a sitter... I've blogged about that battle before. I'm sure I can work it out. Karaoke! Picnic! Board Game! Sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to remember when we went out on a date. And I think it was over Christmas? When we were in Florida and there was an overflowing abundance of grandparents?! What we did on our anniv. was get some amazing sandwiches from a local restaurant, and played Sequence while watching Deadliest Catch. While some people might find that incredibly dull, we had a GREAT time! Rarely do we have time to just hang out and laugh. It was so fun. Spending lots of money getting a sitter and going out for an expensive dinner would have made both us of not enjoy it as much, because we don't really want to drop $80 on an evening out. For $12 we had plenty of fun :) We approached our wedding with the same philosophy: why spend lots of money when the commitment is what matters most? I think our wedding cost about $1,000. My dress was a white sundress from J. Crew and I think it was $75. We got married in the middle of the day. There was lots of roses and chicken salad for lunch. I loved our wedding - it was beautiful, simple, and memorable. I love life on the cheap!!

    Write each other a letter making plans for the future year of marriage. We always write cards/letters of encouragement on our anniv. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Marlene. Cheaper is better! Letters are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete