RSS Feed

Monday, February 15, 2010

The Mom Club

Being a mom is like being in a private club.

I walked in to the doctor today to have one of my many ultrasounds done for my fertility treatments. As I climbed the stairs, I passed a mom on the landing. She was holding an infant carrier and negotiating with her toddler who was standing at the top of the stairs. Her little girl was pitching quite a fit. She didn't want to walk down the stairs alone. Her mother was already down, and was trying to juggle the infant along with the various accessories infants come with. I walked past with the usual detachment of a stranger as I headed to my waiting room, but then I paused. I could still hear the little girl fussing. That's when it happened. The mom in me woke up.

Moms should really have a uniform. It should be like it is in the Superman movies. Just imagine: moms have "mom moments," turn around in slow motion, and they are magically wearing their suit, complete with cape. Don't forget a little skirt around the waist to hide the hips, of course.

The scene this morning caused me to turn around in my tracks, and walk back to the little girl. As I approached, I talked to the other mom. "Look, I couldn't just walk by without helping! I have a 2 year old daughter, and I know how it is some days. You have a baby too, so I can't even imagine how hard that is! Let me give you a hand!" I approached her little girl, helped her on the first step, and that's all she needed to get her going. With a quick "thank you" from the other mom, I was back on my way to my appointment - turning around slowly, mom uniform magically turning back into jeans and Rolling Stones shirt.

There's something about having a toddler that makes you relate to other moms of toddlers in a really unique way. I'm finding my little 2 year old to be such a challenge, that I think I even look for those little chances to share the experience with someone who understands. I hope this blog will continue to let us moms find one another and share. I need all of you!

The rest of my day was a blur of cooking, shopping, laundry, and kid-wrangling. I have written my next several blogs in my head, and I hope to get them down this week. Expect recipes, pictures, and fertility updates. I'll know more after my next appointment on Wednesday. Fingers crossed! Oh, and I can't forget to mention that my recent posts about my son have gotten the wheels turning for me. The response I have already gotten from those posts has been great. I want to find more ways to meet other moms dealing with losses. I have a few ideas. Maybe I've found a calling?!

2 comments:

  1. It is so funny, because as I was reading this I was nodding my head, having been there many times with a toddler and an infant. It is so great when other moms help or can empathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that great? Now hopefully when I'm having one of those moments, someone will help me!

    ReplyDelete