RSS Feed

Thursday, February 25, 2010

name that recipe!

I'm still stuck in the waiting game around here. It's impossible to keep my mind from wandering to pregnancy. I'm not feeling anything yet, but it's only been a week. Patience! We have also been waiting on edge for a possible change with my husband's job. It would be a wonderful change for our family, so we are hoping it works out.

In the meantime I'm going to share a recipe that we just tried out for the first time not long ago. It was very tasty. The problem is, that I'm not sure what to call it! Any ideas?
Italian Rice Patties?
Spinach and Rice Bake?
Fred?
Help me name this recipe!
.
Oh, and I apologize ahead of time for the pictures. They were taken at night. That explains the lack of natural light. I also didn't haul off to retrieve my truly wonderful flash, so the I was stuck with the kitchen lights. They make the food look a bit, ummmm.... yellow. You know, like in cookbooks from the 60's and 70's? What was up with that? How could people ever find anything appetizing from the looks of those horrible pictures? Anway... I'll stop rambling now and make good on my promise. Here's a tasty recipe. That doesn't have a name. It's sad really. Just sayin'. I'm glad we could share this moment.

Ingredients:

- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 Cup of chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 box (10 oz) frozen leaf spinach - thawed and chopped (I used fresh since that's what I had on hand and it worked just fine)
- 2 1/4 Cups water
- 1 cup long grain rice (I used brown rice)
- 1/2 Cup grated parmasean cheese
- 1/4 tsp of pepper (I think I used a bit more. Pepper is yummy!)
- 1 large egg
- 2 oz of shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce (we used 1/2 a jar)

I'm a bit of a free spirit when it comes to recipes. I'll do my best here!

Heat the oil in your skillet. Saute your onion and garlic a bit.
Then add the spinach and water and bring it to a boil.
Stir in the rice. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the water is absorbed.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil with non-stick spray (so do I list non-stick cooking spray in my ingredients? I'm out of practice here!)
Transfer your rice mixture into a bowl and stir in the parmasean and pepper.
Then mix in the egg.
Scoop out the mixture and spoon onto the baking sheet. I made them approximately hamburger sized or maybe a bit smaller.
Flatten each scoop slightly with your spoon to help it look more like a patty. Like this:
.

Bake for 20 minutes until they seem firm.
Then sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese and put it back into the oven until it melts.

Serve with spaghetti sauce on top like in the picture or you can adapt it for a toddler by cutting the patty into quarters or halves and providing the sauce for dipping. Yummy!
.

1 comment: