RSS Feed

Monday, January 25, 2010

A Day In The Life

Inspired by a friend of mine, I'm going to share a day in the life of my family so you can get to know me and what it's like in my corner of the world. I chose this last Saturday to keep track of our goings on.

We woke up early. Our daughter used to sleep from 8 pm to 9 am every day. No lie. She did this for at about 2 years. She is now changing that pattern. She enjoys getting us up these days around 7 am. That's just not as much fun. When this happens, we typically bring her into our bed, turn on Nick Jr., and then we try to get a tiny bit more rest while trying to tune out Dora, Wonder Pets... and all of those fun shows with annoyingly memorable songs.

Once we finally got up, we had our normal breakfast and put in a load of diapers. Saturday morning is one of our cloth diaper washing days. While we're looking forward to an end to this routine, we aren't quite there yet. My daughter still wears diapers overnight. Our washer is on the fritz, and on Saturday it was down for the count. Luckily we had called our favorite repairman a few days earlier, and he happened to return the call. Our repairman, Chuck... well, he deserves his own short paragraph!

Chuck is a retired gentleman we discovered when our drier broke down some years ago. We frantically searched the phone book for affordable service. Enter Chuck. He is the kind of guy who likes to tinker. And he's affordable. And he talks a lot. About random things. But it's worth it. Did I mention that he's affordable? Chuck made his way in through the ice storm we were having, checked out the washer, and had it fixed 30 minutes and $55 later. On a Saturday. We love you, Chuck!

We had decided at first light that we weren't going to run our errands due to the growing layer of ice outside. Ice storms are a typical thing for a Midwestern January day. Instead we had some play time followed by lunch. It's common for us to have "breakfast for lunch" on the weekend, so I mixed up some multigrain blueberry pancakes. We gobbled them up. I took pictures. I've been taking lots of food pictures lately. Don't ask.

Nap time! One of the quiet times of the day. While my daughter napped, so did my husband. I shopped online. Just a little. Yellow Submarine shower curtain... check! Did I mention that I have a Beatles illness? I'm sick. Really.

After nap, we had more play time which is a necessity for toddlers who are stuck in the house on a cold winter day. We put together puzzles over and over. We also played beauty shop. I have never been able to get my daughter's fine hair into a ponytail, so we tried it. She thought her first pony tail was great! Now that we have a tall stool in the bathroom, she enjoys admiring herself. She even practices her pouting skills. Look out Hollywood! Beauty shop was cut short by dinner which we enjoyed as a family. (By "enjoy" I mean constantly nagging a 2 year old to behave at the table!)


When bedtime finally rolled around and our toddler was tucked in, we decided we would watch the Netflix pick that had been sitting on our coffee table for a few weeks. The movie was Food Inc. and I highly recommend it. It's not pro-vegetarian so much as pro-knowledge. It did make me thankful to be vegetarian though. The movie gets the audience in touch with the source of the food they eat. I think everyone needs to realize that what we purchase drives industry, and it's important for us to be responsible consumers if we want to be healthier and make our planet healthier. It was a movie I wish everyone would see. I folded laundry as we watched, and we were having trouble keeping our eyes open once we got through the special features. Bedtime for mom and dad!

There you have it. Our life here is kind of simple and that's how we like it. I enjoy having a happy, healthy family. And a home. And good food. And a job with benefits. And a camera to record our plain life. And a blog to share it!

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment