RSS Feed

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Getting my feet wet...

I thought about blogs I might write for weeks, but now that the cursor is finally blinking in front of me, I can't write! What's up with that? So here I go... time to get my feet wet. I'm ready to share!

I'm an old fashioned girl when it comes to music. I like to listen to some albums on vinyl because that's how they were meant to be heard. (The Beatles' Revolver in mono for example.) I also like to get my hands on a physical cd when a new one comes out. I've been known to download songs online, but it's not the same! Do kids today read liner notes? Do they wonder who played the instruments on a track... or do they even listen to songs that include people playing instruments?!

The world is changing fast, and it makes me feel old. I may be a minority, but I still get excited to rip plastic from a cd and wait for the first few notes to come out of my car stereo. That just happens to be the bright spot of my day today. I got out of work, ran to the local electronics store, walked straight back to their shrinking cd section and picked up my prize: Ringo Starr's new album "Y Not." I've digested the first few tracks, and I think they're great. He may not be as good a writer as his former bandmates, but the songs are catchy and fun. Oh yeah, and there are real instruments. That's about all you can ask for these days.

I've been feeling worn out lately. Midlife crisis? It's too early for that! I'm just tired of spending most of my time doing things for other people. I'm sure I'll get over it. I think it's just hard to be happy in the midwest in the winter. (Since I'm new here, I'll preface my next comment by saying that my husband I are doing fertility treatments... again.) I also had confirmation today that I'm not pregnant. That means it's time to start infertility medication again. I'm dreading the rollercoaster of hormones, but it's a means to an end I guess. Since my resolution is to look at the brighter points of life this year, here comes my opportunity to find something to be thankful for today. I am thankful for my health insurance. It doesn't fully cover fertility treatments, but it takes the edge off the cost at least. There are many people in this country that don't have any insurance, so I want to remember not to take mine for granted. (and I'll try to forget that other countries get this stuff for free... because, well, that will just depress me all over again!) As a line from one of the new Ringo songs says: "Today is the best day of your life." Thanks, Ringo. You're right. That's how I plan to live this year.

2 comments:

  1. I remember very well the time you would spend looking at the liner notes to CDs you'd be listening to. I was always a bit amazed that you would be so interested in the minutiae of the music world, but found it admirable.

    I will be thinking of you and saying lots of prayers as you start your fertility treatments. I know how much you treasure Stella, and I really do hope this happens quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete