RSS Feed

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tiny Dancer

I always had visions of putting my daughter in a dance class or two. I took dance as a young kid, and it might be the only time I've ever enjoyed doing something slightly athletic in my life. I have always been painfully uncoordinated when it comes to team sports. I think it's just the pressure involved. The ball is coming your way. All eyes are on the ball, so all eyes are now on you. You drop it, and you hear collective groans from your peers. Trying to fit in was hard enough without my fumbles and fouls in gym class making me blush. Dance allowed me to do something physical without having to worry about winning or disappointing anyone. It also involved music which is one of my great loves.

These tiny ballet shoes are a sweet little bargain I got at a thrift store.


The funny thing is that I found these shoes when my daughter was just an infant. Having a child with feet large enough for these was a distant thought in those days. Still, I couldn't help putting the two dollar shoes in my cart with a dream of seeing a tiny ballerina wear them.
I was cleaning out the closet last weekend to make way for my daughter's spring wardrobe when I found the ballet shoes. They fit perfectly. I can't believe how fast she has grown. Coincidentally I found myself at that same thrift store the next day looking for pieces to complete said spring wardrobe when I came across a little leotard and tutu. One dollar and 69 cents later they were in the bag. Pink leg warmers and black knit tights from Christmas were already hanging around our house, so we had no trouble completing the ensemble.


The next day I thought about what a shame it would be to waste a perfectly good dance outfit. With a little searching I was able to find us a dance class in a neighboring town. She loves her new outfit and can't wait to go to class. I'm interested to see if she continues to enjoy it once we do it for a few weeks. I don't expect her to like everything that I like, so she'll have the freedom to decide. I'm just excited for her to try something new. I'm also excited that I get to dress her up in cute, thrifty clothes! My husband jokes that since I can't claim to be talented at any sports, thrift shopping is my sport. I think he might be right.

3 comments:

  1. She is so adorable! I LOVE the outfit. I hope to get Alexis in a dance class or gymnastics in a few years! Have fun with the classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH HOW SWEET!!!!!
    This is my favorite post :) The photos of Stella - they are gorgeous! You're so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I can't resist grabbing the camera when she's dressed up. She hates pictures. I think I've taken too many since she was born so she has a low tolerance! I'm always happen when a few turn out.

    ReplyDelete